Tuesday August 6th
Work at the shelter started as normal. We got to the shelter and the older mentee and I began decorating her scrapbook. There isn't entirely too much to report in decorating. But it was nice to see her figuring out what she wanted the cover to say and how she wanted to lay out and categorize all the pictures. Despite decorating for most of our time together there was still a lot to do. Thus every free moment I had from then on during the day was dedicated to picking out quotes to write on the cover and cutting and gluing in the dozens of recipes she had picked out. I didn't mind devoting so much time to it though. I want her to have something special from this summer and something she can use and add to so I am willing to stay up late and donate my time to it. And since it was Tuesday, the day of yoga and animal therapy, I had plenty of time to dedicate.
At first I wasn't entirely too thrilled for our tuesday night group activity. As our group project we have been volunteering in a local garden cleaning it up (and by this I mean we have gone once but I was sick so I didn't go and the other time we cancelled it). As I am sure you all know working outdoors is entirely not my thing. I prefer to sit inside, bake, craft, sleep, watch tv, or read. Getting covered in dirt and injuring myself (which I promise has a very high likelihood) really is not on the top of my list. But I went and actually had a good time. You see in typical Rachel fashion, I like to hear all of my options. So people were dividing up into groups but I had yet to hear everything so I just happened to not get assigned a place to pull up weeds or pile bricks. Next thing I know Levi is asking Andrew and I to get all the materials for pita making and to help the women who run the garden with the dough. I had won the gardening battle. Everyone just looked at me and said how typical it was that I was placed in the baking position, I was more than happy. The women showed us how to roll the dough and then flatten it out to make it easy to put on the fire pit. I felt like I was back at camp on a Saturday morning, hanging out with the Israeli scouts making pita and smothering it with chocolate. After everyone was done with their tiring and laboring gardening we all sat in the garden eating the fresh made pita with all sorts of different toppings. It actually turned out to be a great night.
No comments:
Post a Comment