Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Making it feel like Camp

Sunday July 21

I thought going back to volunteering on Sunday was going to be really difficult because we were coming off of a free weekend and because of the kids leaving last week. I was happily surprised that it wasn't as difficult as I expected. In the morning I worked with one of the older girls as usual. I think our trend of teaching them how to make string bracelets has really taken off. Both older girls Hannah and I worked with wanted to learn and one of the moms even asked me to teach her! There wasn't a great deal of mentoring her in a since that I was learning about her past and helping her through it but it was still a nice time.

In the afternoon Hannah and I were again on the bracelet making path as we taught everyone in our group. For the most part all of the kids loved it. To me it actually felt like we were running summer programs for the kids because making bracelets was what we did at camp. I remember sitting on the dock just working on bracelets during mandatory optionals, well until an upper staff member would come inform us it wasn't really an option. Watching the kids make the bracelets was cute though. And when we finished them if there was extra, which there usually was because they have such small wrists, we would tie the rest around our wrist to have matching bracelets which made them happy as well.

Our evening programing was a cultural exchange with our peer group. But despite the fact the event was at their house, very few attended. It was fun though. There was wine, cheese, and watermelon (i know the watermelon sounds a little like the odd ball but it actually worked pretty well) and we sat there for a little over an hour watching people sing, show artwork, and read poems. It was nice but personally I didn't find it to be anything entirely too special. Had there been more Israelis there I think I would have gotten more out of it. But, at least we got to get dressed up for a night.

There was definitely something else I wanted to say about Sunday but I can't remember so clearly it wasn't of too much importance. Something I forgot to mention about the weekend though-- As much as I enjoyed EIE the sense of freedom I felt taking the lightrail and buses in Jerusalem made me feel like I was getting much more out of the experience. I didn't have to report to anyone or always be in a group or only stay with in a predetermined area. This sense of freedom I feel on this trip is doing exactly what I hoped it would, its allowing me to understand Israeli culture.


**I remembered what I wanted to say-- during our break one of the social workers came around asking us if we wanted some ice cream cake. I of course said no because I can't eat ice cream or cake. BUT she then informed me the cake was parve (no dairy in it at all). I was skeptical at first but it was soo good. Point to Israel for being allergy friendly and for making tasty food.

No comments:

Post a Comment